Tuesday, November 17, 2009 | By: janet

the blind side



The movie The Blind Side features the surprising life of the Baltimore Ravens player Michael Oher. His violent and troubled youth is healed through a risky yet radical choice a prominent and upperclass white family makes when they take him off the streets for what was to be “one night”.

Firstly I have to admit without having read the book or seen the movie I think Mrs. Touhy (played by Sandra Bullock) and I could be bffs. In the trailer she tells her husband that he “is right”. Consequently, responding in utter shock and disbelief, he inquires how that statement tasted coming out of her mouth. Her response? “Like vinegar”. Priceless! The trailer’s opening also exemplifies her ‘calling it like she sees it’ demeanor. And let’s not underestimate a mother’s ability to sniff out a tall tale when Oher lies about having a place to sleep that fateful evening.

It is with bittersweet emotions I honestly and humbly admit I had mixed thoughts of this movie. I assumed it would be just another feel good movie. Bottom line, oppression stamped out after an exhaustive Olympic marathon race of hurdling miles of stumbling blocks.

Then during the trailer I witnessed an exchange between Bullock and Oher regarding the bedroom he is to sleep in. His hand grazes and strokes the comforter of the bed and he states he’s “never had one of these before”. Bullock asks “what a room to yourself”. She seems a bit taken aback when he states “no, a bed”. In that brief moment, as someone who spent her tween and teen years sleeping on couches or floors, I knew exactly what he meant and how he felt to not even have that one often overlooked possession.

Gibbs, Abby and I were discussing this just last night as we watched an interview with the Touhy’s that aired before the Ravens football game. I firmly believe there are times in our lives when we are called by God to take on and face precarious, radical choices. And from those decisions, we have the opportunity to persevere that meandering road to thoroughly see the sincere depth and meaning of “extraordinary”.

I’m left to ponder this one thought. What makes this true life story remarkable? Was it that hope finally arrived after all those years of oppression? Is it that the Touhy family stepped out of their comfort zone to embrace and become a personal cheerleading squad to a Goliath of a teenager when statistics tried to tell them their attempts were a lost cause? Or is truly Oher himself- the person willing to brick by brick take down the walls, learn to trust and love, and have the desire to allow himself to become more than what society told him he was capable of?

It took one family and one radical decision. Imagine if we all courageously stepped out of our comfort zone.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Beckie said...

That looks like a good movie! I love Sandra Bullock.

I like the new place ~ nice! I haven't been blogging much myself, but still read. I'll make sure to put you in my reader.

T said...

I cannot wait to see this movie! Love Sandra Bullock and the woman she portrays - amazing.


Love the new place - I'm adding it to my list right now.

Amydeanne said...

that made me cry.. the trailer, thanks for pointing the movie out!

Heather said...

I'm always amazed and surprised when I realize all that you had to go through growing up. I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday - and glad I did.