Tuesday, March 9, 2010 | By: janet

In Other Words

This week Miriam is hosting In Other Words. The quote she has chosen is:

There’s somethin I learned when I was homeless:
Our limitation is God’s opportunity.
When you get all the way to the end of your rope and
there ain’t nothin you can do,
that’s when God takes over.”
~ Denver Moore
Same Kind of Different As Me
(co-written with Ron Hall, with Lynn Vincent)


It’s the marriage on the rocks.

It’s the pink slip from your boss.

It’s the mailbox with the foreclosure letter.

It’s finding the drugs in your child’s bookbag.

It’s deciding between paying bills or putting groceries on the table.

It’s the diagnosis you feared the most.

It’s when you’ve reached the very end and throw your hands in the air, completely fresh out of ideas for quick and long-term fixes. It’s then, at that precise moment, in your uttermost weakness and humility that God steps in, to proclaim His glory through you and with you.
And why does He wait until we are at the end of our rope? Because He knows it’s our nature to want to seek self-help first and foremost, and He loves us so much as to not micromanage us—giving us free reign to attempt resolution ourselves first. Sadly, time and time again, it’s when we’re done scrutinizing, finagling and repeatedly trying to fix the situation that we finally allow Him in to work. *ahem* And never a moment sooner.

And in His perfection, by waiting and giving us all the opportunities we need to remedy the situation, He is allowing us every chance to repetitively see our need for Him and to reaffirm the foundations of trust He continues to foster and cultivate. In the very end, after all of our attempts have failed and we let God step in and take over the reins, it is then and only then, that we do not rob Him of divine glory and power openly proclaiming it was not of our accord but through His grace and His provisions.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Debbie said...

This was so good for me to read. Way too often I attempt to fix things myself. Coming to the end of my rope has finally allowed me to take the focus off of me and placed my eyes on the Lord. YES ...I see my need for Him.

Thank you for a timely post,
Debbie

MiPa said...

"He is allowing us every chance to repetetively see our need for him..." Amen! Wonderful post! Thank you for joining the conversation today.

Karen said...

That was really great and well said. Thanks for sharing today.

Denise Hughes said...

Your words ring so true! When God does step in, it seems to always be at the eleventh hour...but not to torment us with waiting, but so He gets all the glory...so we can't attempt to take any of the credit ourselves. Thank you for participating in this week's IOW. It's very nice to "meet" you. :)

Tami Boesiger said...

You remind me of God's patience and how often I suffer needlessly by not trusting Him sooner. Thank you.

These Nine Acres said...

I needed that today. It reminded me of the peace I felt when I read The Shack.

Amydeanne said...

very thougth provoking Janet. Truly encouraging... it wasn't until I hit the end that God could pick me up and turn my ashes into something beautiful!