Tuesday, May 11, 2010 | By: janet

In Other Words Tuesday...


“A sentence from Psalm 101 has been both
challenging and convicting for me:
I will walk in my house with blameless heart
(Psalm 101-2, NIV).
When God speaks to me about being more loving,
this verse reminds me to make application in my family first—and then to others. It forces me to ask, ‘Am I more spiritual, more loving, or more fun somewhere else? Who gets my best—my family or others?”

Living the Gospel is easy. Let's see:
reading the bible and praying with my morning coffee… check
 
putting on my cross necklace for all to see… check

smiling warmly at the mother ahead of me in line who is taking forever with her payment, while my ice cream is melting, as she wrestles to keep her children in control… check

updating my facebook status with today’s bible study topic and the number of hours volunteered at the school today… check

praying with a friend in need… check


But what happens behind the closed doors of our personal sanctuary where the masks come off, our guards are down and we exhibit our truest personality and nature?  Are we gossiping about what another mother wore while volunteering at school or the prayer needs of a friend?  Are we blasting our husbands for not putting his clothes in the hamper but rather dropping them on the floor at the base of the hamper?  After a long day of errands and chores is it obvious to our children our patience is wearing thin?


It’s easy to keep our masks and veils in perfect order to the outside world. But our actions and attitude within the walls of our homes speaks volumes and truly has a more profound and lasting effect. Especially if we are mothers, day by day, actively creating living legacies. It is us, the mother and wife, who is building her house. Our words are either encouraging or discouraging. Our actions reflect our wisdom.

As women, if we want to be blameless- with virtue and integrity, we must make our home the priority of how we are seen by truly living and being the Gospel- not just shining and waxing it. Hormones and grace, children and mercy, unrelenting schedules & chores and patience… um yea, it can be and is hard.

Our families are watching and learning about God straight from our relationship with Him by witnessing our behavior—let’s not confuse them with pretty Christianity for show-and-tell while we choose disarray behind closed doors.

See what others have to say about this week's quote by visiting: Loni

Photobucket

8 comments:

lizcooper said...

This is very convicting for me. I think I am the least Christ-like at home! It's the place where I feel safe and like I can be myself, but myself should be being like Christ...not acting in my flesh. Thank you for this reminder. I most definitely want to be blameless in my home.

Karen said...

That was really good how you laid that out with the check list then hit us with the reality of our favorite masks. Thanks for sharing

writingcanvas said...

Thanks so much for sharing . . . yup, I've checked off the same things many times . . . so thankful He's not finished with me yet. :)

Nic said...

Oh, excellent!

Our families are watching and learning about God straight from our relationship with Him by witnessing our behavior

That is SUCH the truth right there!

The Church Lady said...

I'll be the first to admit that I will get off track from time to time. After all, we are all sinners. I try to live my life being the best person I can be. Thank goodness we have a very forgiving God.

theanniversaryshop said...

It is sometimes hard to remember that it's not the cleanliness of the house that matters as much as it is the cleanliness of the heart.

Thanks for the reminder: We must make our home the priority of how we are seen by truly living and being the Gospel- not just shining and waxing it.

Missie said...

So true! Thank you for your insightful words, we need to hear them more often than we would like!

LittleWomen21 said...

I love your way of putting this: "how we are seen by truly living and being the Gospel- not just shining and waxing it"

Yup, guilty of waxing and shining the outside of the car to make it look good, while the inside is a mess of sin.

I do appreciate your prayers. Thank you so much for your encouraging comments